Together at the Heart of It All

The bastions of media education in Hamburg are located on the Hamburg Art and Media Campus.

From Clinic to Campus

The history of today’s Hamburg Art and Media Campus is a medical one. The first building, designed by the architect Fritz Schumacher, was constructed between 1911 and 1914. The brick building once housed the Finkenau Gynecological Hospital. The first expansions were made in the late 1920s. In 2000, portions of the hospital moved to the Barmbek General Hospital, and Finkenau closed its doors as a medicinal and obstetric institution.

In 2003, a concept was developed in Hamburg to bring together the city’s various media education resources. In September, 2010 the Art and Media Campus was officially opened at Finkenau. With the introduction of the HAW, the Hochschule für angewandte Wissenschaften (College of Applied Sciences) and its Design Department, this location on the banks of the Eilbek Canal became a hub containing five sizeable institutions focused on media. In addition to the HAW, it contains The Miami Ad School, The HfbK or Hochschule für bildende Künste (College of Fine Arts), TIDE TV, and the Hamburg Media School. Today, nearly 2,000 students attend classes on the Hamburg Art and Media Campus each day.


Newsletter